Today, we sat down with our artist B Nutty for an interview. Here is what he had to say:
1. How has your hometown shaped who you are as a musician today?
Growing up in Ypsilanti, Michigan you see a lil bit of everything. I was in a little bit of everything as a young’n. From hooping to hustling, from getting in to it with cats from around the way, to link up with cats from all around Ypsilanti…it’s my experiences that shape my music and I been through everything in Ypsi!
2. If you could single out one artist or band that has influenced you, who would that be and why?
2Pac was one of the greatest influences in my music. Just for his realness in the music he wrote. I try and keep it as funky as I can with my writing and spitting.
3. If you won the lottery tomorrow, what is the first thing you would buy?
If I won the lottery, I’d probably buy an expensive bottle of bourbon to split with the homies and celebrate.
4. What is your advice to fellow underground musicians in regards to remaining discipline in your craft?
Staying on your hustle and doing as many shows as you have the pop to do is the only way people going to be able to see who you are and how you rock. Showing up and showing out is the only way to put yourself out there to link with the fans and other artist. Work and keep working.
5. Do you have any songwriting or recording tips you’d like to share?
If someone asked me for advice on the music and being an underground artist, I’d tell them to keep it real. If someone can relate to your stories or lyrics then that’s a real fan that’s gonna rock with you.
6. How does your family and close friends feel about your music career? Have they always been supportive or have there been issues in the past?
Family is my main support in anything I do. So when it comes to the music, that’s no difference. They’ve been there from the start and are gonna rock with me to the finish.
7. If you could open up for one famous artist or band, who would that be and why?
J.Cole would be a dope artist to open for. I feel his music, because he keeps it trill and I can dig the what he spit about. I think gaining access to his fan base would be an opportunity I couldn’t pass up at all.
8. If you could have a dinner with one musician who is no longer living, who would that be and why?
It’s gonna be 2Pac, if anybody. Shit…hear him kick some knowledge about the game and life in general. He was before his time and for someone to have passed away 20 years ago and still have made music that’s relevant is amazing to me.
9. In your time with LiquidSound Records, what is the number one thing you have enjoyed the most? Also, what is your advice to those artists who would be interested in joining the roster in the future?
The beats and the steady grind I see LiquidSound Records on. LiquidSound supports the movement and wants to get the artist voice out there so people can hear the good music their artist produce and record. Future artist should rock with LiquidSound if they want to be motivated to grind and get their music heard!
10. In ten years, where do you see your music career?
Hopefully doing shows around the world. Being able to see and meet with other great artist to collaborate and make hits. Hopefully I can help out artists that are up and coming be able to get into the game.