Today, we sat down with our artist Chillz for an interview. Here is what he had to say:
1. How has your hometown shaped who you are as a musician today?
I live in a blue collar hometown where you gotta be tough taking care of your family and survive. You know if u don’t have it like that you gotta learn how to survive.
2. If you could single out one artist or band that has influenced you, who would that be and why?
I liked a lot of different kinds of genres of music so I don’t know if I had one type of influence. But I got to say, Jay Z is one of my influences. He is one of my influences because he is witty like me he says lines that will make u say “wow”, lyrical at its finest but still commercial. Also his business sense…he’s very smart like I am and he knows how to capitalize on trends and everything in business he does.
3. If you won the lottery tomorrow, what is the first thing you would buy?
I would send my parents on a vacation. While their on vacation, I would have them a house built. I would get my grandma all the care she needs.
4. What is your advice to fellow underground musicians in regards to remaining discipline in your craft?
Stay focused and be a perfectionist like Michael Jackson in his prime. Always invest in your craft. Have people work for you to do the things like marketing and promotion. Be smart on the business side of things and the one thing that is most important is NEVER GIVE UP.
5. Do you have any songwriting or recording tips you’d like to share?
Memorize your lyrics it makes the flow of the song sound better more professional. Always have strong strong hooks when it comes to songwriting. Be lyrical but also be very catchy. You want your song to get stuck in peoples heads where their saying it all day at work or whatever their doing. Put 110% in every bar you write.
6. How does your family and close friends feel about your music career? Have they always been supportive or have there been issues in the past?
They love what I’m doing and think I have more than a chance to be a really big star. My sister and cousins were supportive, but the others, no. I had to invest my own money into my career because nobody really had it. Everybody was to busy worrying about bills instead of looking at me to take all their worries away. No one ever tried to help get my music out there. They were just happy with me working regular jobs. I had and have bigger dreams for myself and motivation. I got the burning desire so much that support would become extra.
7. If you could open up for one famous artist or band, who would that be and why?
Me. I would take the second stage then be the headliner! Nah, I would like to open up for DMX. He puts on a show and I do too, so with me and him on the same stage, it would be high octane energy. We will shut down that stage.
8. If you could have a dinner with one musician who is no longer living, who would that be and why?
That would be the king of pop which is Michael Jackson. I would want to pick his brain about how he song-writes and does he have melodies that comes to his head like I do. I would want to know his experiences with the business side. I would also like to hear about his life struggles and help him out with that be a really caring person to him not just about the music.
9. In your time with LiquidSound Records, what is the number one thing you have enjoyed the most? Also, what is your advice to those artists who would be interested in joining the roster in the future?
I enjoyed all the insight this management company has to offer and how fast they work. They have numerous ways to get your music out there and into the right hands. They work so hard and diligently to give you great service!!! My advice to those artist is to work as hard as LiquidSound Records does for them in their own way. Follow their steps to success, because they will get you there.
10. In ten years, where do you see your music career?
I see myself with multiple Grammys and had worked with numerous artists that are in the game now. I would be one of the most respected artists and mogul in the game by that time. I would want to have rocked every stage possible. I also would be a respected humanitarian. I will help those in need without charities. I will help out and give money myself. Really, just to be hands on with those people around the world, because I care a lot about people.