Today, we sat down with our artist HTX_Z for an interview. Here is what he had to say:
1. How has your hometown shaped who you are as a musician today?
My hometown didn’t shape me into making music. Most of my inspiration came from other cities and artist within them. In many cases people believe I’m from the Midwest when I’m actually from the south. I have a lot of favorites from that region and the east coast as well.
2. If you could single out one artist or band that has influenced you, who would that be and why?
The artist that has me doing what I wish to achieve right now is Kanye West. When he started out, he seem like a kid that was fresh out of school or college. I saw myself as that type of person, whenever I got older. He has his hands on a lot of things now when it comes to songwriting, making beats and so. I want him to take it to the next level though like Jay-Z who is also another influencer of mine. I want to have my palm on some executive stuff like film, companies and estates. The business mentality is what I’m looking forward too.
3. If you won the lottery tomorrow, what is the first thing you would buy?
If I ever won the lottery, I wouldn’t do anything with it except invest in stock.
4. What is your advice to fellow underground musicians in regards to remaining discipline in your craft?
One thing I would tell other artist of my stature, is never let people distract you from what you’re trying to obtain. If you plan strive for success, go for it. Family will be supportive no matter what, friends come and go. But you as the artist need to stay on the ball.
5. Do you have any songwriting or recording tips you’d like to share?
6. How does your family and close friends feel about your music career? Have they always been supportive or have there been issues in the past?
I don’t have the best support within my own home, but outside, it’s splendid. Sometimes I’m just walking into a store a people notice me and point me out. It’s crazy, they be asking for signatures and shows and much more. These are moments I can definitely say that I cherish.
7. If you could open up for one famous artist or band, who would that be and why?
It honestly doesn’t matter to me. I’m just enjoying the moment with the artist, the crowd, and family as well.
8. If you could have a dinner with one musician who is no longer living, who would that be and why?
From a business and mentor perspective, HOV. He’s the guy that’s going to tell it to you straight. He tells it to you in the music and so much more. Why not take the chance to listen to him and hear his advice. That’s a type of investment that should be acknowledge, and it will pay off in the long run.
9. In your time with LiquidSound Records, what is the number one thing you have enjoyed the most? Also, what is your advice to those artists who would be interested in joining the roster in the future?
So far with this agency, my time hasn’t been as extensive compared to some others, but the interaction with the team is A1. I have work that I’m stacked on, and they help out as much as possible every time. If any artist decides to come along, the experience is worthwhile.
10. In ten years, where do you see your music career?
In ten years, I plan to be on the status of Grammy awarded, nominee, and an educator of the industry.