Today, we sat down with our artist Marty LaGran for an interview. Here is what he had to say:
1. How has your hometown shaped who you are as a musician today?
I was always surrounded by music. I grew up in a choir at New Community Baptist church in Aurora, IL. Besides being in the choir, I started to learn how to play the drums at a young age, finding the motivation to do so from two brothers who used carry their drumsticks with them everywhere, and drum 24/7. Like every other city, mine also has its share of supporters and non-supporters, which helped me understand constructive criticism. My hometown molded me a lot.
2. If you could single out one artist or band that has influenced you, who would that be and why?
Drake, because I remember hearing him for the first time ever on the radio. To grow up and witness him break records is nothing but motivation and greatness and great is all I know how to be. I just rock with my guy heavy. He is so versatile. Nice with the flow, but just a chill vibrate person from my knowledge but his achievements got him to my list of inspiration.
3. If you won the lottery tomorrow, what is the first thing you would buy?
I’ll start my own record label. Get a cosmetic line started, along with a clothing line and bunch more of businesses I plan on starting up.
4. What is your advice to fellow underground musicians in regards to remaining discipline in your craft?
I say: stay focused continue to stay motivated. Don’t waste time, and the only person who can stop you from your dreams is you.
5. Do you have any songwriting or recording tips you’d like to share?
A little technique I use is writing a song out first, then finding a beat that fits the mood/vibe. I’ve tried finding the beats, then writing to it, but I ran into many more road blocks that way.
6. How does your family and close friends feel about your music career? Have they always been supportive or have there been issues in the past?
My family and friends have always been supportive. I probably got all of the negative people out my life so far. They love to see how head on and determined I am to achieve my dreams. They always pushing me to go go go. Besides, this all for them.
7. If you could open up for one famous artist or band, who would that be and why?
I would like to open for NBA youngboy because his music and age is so relatable so I feel like we’ll really have the crowd going crazy.
8. If you could have a dinner with one musician who is no longer living, who would that be and why?
2pac because I like the way he thinks. I feel like there is more to him than what people made him to be and I would like the opportunity just to chill and talk to him.
9. In your time with LiquidSound Records, what is the number one thing you have enjoyed the most? Also, what is your advice to those artists who would be interested in joining the roster in the future?
I like how responsive and quick the management is. My advice would be that you need to be ready and have goals. Be determined.
10. In ten years, where do you see your music career?
I see my music career still doing great. Building to The LaGran Empire.