Today, we sat down with our artist Quiz Da Lawd for an interview. Here is what he had to say:
1. How has your hometown shaped who you are as a musician today?
My hometown is Southern Weschester County, having lived in a few different towns in the county just north of NYC the music influence was 90s Gansta rap artists Biggie Smalls, Big Punisher, Nas and Busta Rhymes just to name a few. An early love for New York hip hop opened an appreciation for all hip hop, especially in other regions. By widening my spectrum on the rap music I listened to, I acquired a love for writing my own lyrics.
2. If you could single out one artist or band that has influenced you, who would that be and why?
Even though I love many artists my all-round favorite artist of all time would have to be spit into three: Big L, Big Punisher, and Nas. I really extensively studied these artists growing up more then others.
3. If you won the lottery tomorrow, what is the first thing you would buy?
If I won the lottery tomorrow, the first thing I would buy is a few bitcoins and other questionably risky investments that may also be rewarding.
4. What is your advice to fellow underground musicians in regards to remaining discipline in your craft?
The only advice I can give is work for this like your life depends on it, cut distractions as much as possible at it like a job or responsibility that must be done.
5. Do you have any songwriting or recording tips you’d like to share?
The ambiance and all around vibe of the studio or creative workspace is most important when writing. When I create, sometimes if the vibe isn’t right, you just got to find somewhere more inspirational even if its just the car or the park. The change helps a lot.
6. How does your family and close friends feel about your music career? Have they always been supportive or have there been issues in the past?
Thankfully all of my family and friends are supportive of my decision to pursue music as a career and I love them for that.
7. If you could open up for one famous artist or band, who would that be and why?
If I could open up for anyone I’d love to open up someone BIG like Drake Or Kendrick Lamar on a major platform where people appreciate the lyricist and song writer equally.
8. If you could have a dinner with one musician who is no longer living, who would that be and why?
I would love to sit and eat dinner with Big Pun maybe kick a freestyle over some Arroz Con Pollo.
9. In your time with LiquidSound Records, what is the number one thing you have enjoyed the most? Also, what is your advice to those artists who would be interested in joining the roster in the future?
During my time with LSR, what I can say I appreciate most is the steady stream of information they provide in regards to artist related services and with a very hands on and attentive, and most importantly professional approach making me very comfortable and happy. All I can say is communicate with Ryan and I’m sure what you want done will be completed.
10. In ten years, where do you see your music career?
In 10 years I see myself living completely off the music I love to create everyday.